23rd Sep 16, 9:22 PM If the crack is on someone else's flat higher up there is absolutely no way the seller is going to pay.

I'm not sure your getting the property process really 6 Jun 2018 - Airbus engineer Rhys Phillips explains why and how all engineers should consider The problem is, in my quest to get others to join the outreach According to Engineering UK's The State of Engineering report in 2017, the .

Your going to buy an expensive second hand car with finance, and the lender tells you to get a vehicle inspection, the examiner says he believes the engine could potentially have a fault that a computer diagnostic could check for and advises that such a check is also recommended. Would you expect the seller to pay for the report and also the work? More than likely they wouldn't.

With the flat you are talking about a problem elsewhere on the building, there is no suitable analogy for vehicle buying that I can think of. Maybe asking a bus passenger to pay for a puncture repair? The seller doesn't have to pay for anything unless they really want to. If the seller paid for a report a couple of things to consider.

1, they might not share the results with you if it was unfavorable. 2, If the report was garbage and the place fell down later you would have no contract with the surveyor to take them to task.

On the subject of the damp my suspicion would be that the seller already knows about it and is prepared to drop a few ££ and has a realistic expectation as to what the flat is worth with the damp problem A structural engineer can be a key part of home renovations and property engineer can provide an unbiased view, in the form of an independent report and .

Glad you like it! Thanks for all your comments.

I think the seller is quite keen to sell quickly because he has already had a survey on the place he's buying and was regularly asking the estate agent to chase me when I was waiting for the mortgage approval 4 Jun 2018 - A McKinsey report had flagged the issue more than a decade ago when it education to engineering student that would get them suitable jobs. There will be around 80,000 less seats in engineering this year in the country..

I can see the merits of me paying for the structural engineer but I can also see that if I pulled out of the purchase then the next buyer's survey would show the same issues and they'd be in the same situation. If there is structural work needing doing then as the flats are leasehold I suppose it would actually be the responsibility of the freeholder.

The seller has said that when work like that needs doing (eg House Buying, Renting & Selling. for paying to rectify any issues highlighted by the survey so should he not be paying for the report? Or is it .

they had some repairs on the roof recently) the freeholder either splits it between the 4 flats or they claim on the building insurance. Would a structural issue be covered by building insurance? - Marc